Monday 30 April 2012

Breaking News: Suspect - Why I Killed the Woman I Slept With

When the headless body of a woman was discovered inside a sack near a cemetery at Oke Aremo area of Ibadan on Friday, April 20, 2012 lots who first viewed it or heard about it rained curses around the perpetrator(s) from pity that a human being could be so callously handled. Little did they already know their prayers that God should expose the killer(s) could be answered earlier than they expected. 


 2 days after, many were shocked for their marrows once the news spread the police had arrested the person who committed the dastardly act, which it was no other person than the deceased’s lover, Mr Asimiyu Ayantayo. The arrest of the man also resulted in the revelation of the identity of the woman whose name was handed as Mrs Sekinat Emiola. Taking Sunday Tribune on the memory lane of events that occurred before his mother’s death, the first son of the woman, who gave his name as Hafiz Amidu said:


 “My mother had called me on Thursday, April 19, asking basically will come to her place at Abebi area that day. I replied her which i would come after leaving my workshop. I knew Asimiyu like a herbalist whom my mother accustomed to patronise. I didn't know these were in a relationship until this incident. “At about 10a.m on that Thursday, the person called me and asked me to come to his house at Oke Aremo. I acquired there and met him at his door, getting ready to go and take his bath. 


He did not let me enter his room as always because he explained he was travelling and could be back on Sunday, asking me to come back then. “On my way to avoid it of the area, I met one of his sons and gave him N10. He asked me whether I didn't see my mother inside and that i replied him that his father did not allow me in. I attempted my mother’s number but it was turned off. I attempted Asimiyu’s own too, it was also turned off. I left for my shop. In the evening, I visited my mother’s place around 8p.m., but she'd not arrived home. My sister who endured my mother told me that she said she would Oke Aremo. 






Then, I called the man’s number again and he answered, stating that he had already told me that he would Ijebu Ode. He confirmed that my mother came to his house but had left. I visited the house on that day. “On Friday, I continued to ponder on my mother’s whereabouts. When my sister explained that our mother was yet to return home, I called my maternal aunt and uncle to inform them. It had been following this which i learnt from the headless body that was discovered at Oke Aremo, but I never linked my mother by using it. 


My aunt called Asimiyu and he gave different versions of my mother’s movement after she supposedly left his house. When I heard what he explained, I called him and narrated the storyline from the headless body found but he replied me that he wasn't around. “On Saturday, I went to my mum’s place but my sister asked me to go to my shop. Later she called me and asked me to come to Yemetu Police Station, from where i was taken to the mortuary.




 Immediately we had my mother’s wrapper outside the mortuary, we knew it was my mother that was killed. “On Sunday, my aunt received a phone call from the man who called himself Asimiyu’s brother who told her I ought to come. It had been from them we learnt that Asimiyu had been arrested through the police. They told us that they guessed he killed my mother from what his daughter said and the way he was behaving in Ijebu Ode whenever he received my call. 


These were those who lured him to Total Garden section of Ibadan around the pretence they desired to collect money from a client who wanted to engage them as drummers. Among his brothers reportedly kept him waiting in company of others while he visited Yemetu police station to see law enforcement agents of the brother’s perceived act.


 Which was how the police arrested him.” Speaking with journalists in the police headquarters on Monday, the Commissioner of Police in Oyo State, Mr Tambari Yabo Mohammed, described Asimiyu’s act as ungodly, saying nobody would accept such. Based on Mohammed, “this man called Asimiyu Ayantayo butchered his woman friend after having carnal knowledge of her. 


He thereafter severed her head and hands from the wrist having a cutlass and also got an accomplice in one Femi Isiaka who helped him in carrying your body in a sack to a nearby cemetery where it had been dumped. Younger crowd collected the woman’s blood in a container which was recovered in his room. “The suspect has confessed towards the ungodly act, stating that the deceased’s husband laced her having a charm called magun, and very quickly, he'll be charged to the court,” law enforcement boss said. He warned the people of the state to become wary of ritual killers and report anyone seen or suspected of committing such act.


 Saturday Tribune gathered that the suspect said that he slept with the deceased on Thursday April 19, being unsure of that her husband had laced her with magun. Asimiyu had reportedly added the woman started foaming within the mouth after he had sex with her, and she or he eventually died. Claiming he would never know what to do, Asimiyu decided to cut off the woman’s head and hands “so that she would not be easily recognised.” He also drained the blood in a container so as not to leave a trace.


 On how he got involved, the second suspect, Femi, said he was asked by Asimiyu to purchase a sack with N400 on Thursday. “He came to me before 5a.m., on Friday and asked me to follow him to his room. Whenever we got there, he explained I ought to swear an oath of secrecy with him. He gave me a concoction to drink, once i helped him in placing a tied sack on his head. I followed him to the cemetery side where he dumped the bag. It had been on our go back to his room that I saw the top. I exclaimed but he reminded me of the oath and said I ought to keep your secret.


 He visited bury the head and the hands at his backyard,” he said. However, an interesting twist arrived to the entire story once the suspect made good his threat to kill himself when the police would not kill him, as he was found hanging in the toilet of the cell where he was kept in the State Criminal Investigation Department (SCID), Iyaganku, Ibadan on Wednesday. Saturday Tribune gathered that, Ayantayo committed the act in the dead from the night when others detainees were asleep. He was believed to have removed his shirt, climbed the bathroom . that was created using brick and is about two and a half metre high, to get to the little opening barricaded with iron rods.


 He'd tied a sleeve from the shirt to one from the iron rods while the remaining area of the shirt is made to create a noose. It was also learnt the second suspect, Isiaka, also started behaving funny he needed to be restrained with leg chain and handcuffs and known a hospital for clinical assessment of mental state. It had been, however, gathered that he have been charged to Iyaganku Magistrate’s Court 3 on Thursday on a two-count control of conspiracy to commit felony to wit murder and murder. The magistrate was reported to possess ordered he be remanded imprisonment custody while the case was adjourned till May 22.